Stress, anxiety, general well-being
- Memory improves, reaction times become faster and mental and physical stamina increase. 1
- The 8-week MBSR course improves concentration and attention.1
- Meditation also lowers anxiety, depression, anger, irritability, fatigue and stress-related cortisol, and increases vigor and immunoreactivity.2, 4, 3
- Additionally, it improves reactions to emotional stimuli.4
- Functional MRI scans of the brain show increased attention and improved ability to ignore distractions.5
- People who meditate regularly are happier and more contented, while being far less likely to suffer from psychological distress
Jha A, Krompinger J, Baime M. Mindfulness training modifies subsystems of attention. Cogn Affect Behav Neurosci 2007; 7: 109–19.[PubMed]
Tang Y, Ma Y, Wang J, Fan Y, Feng S, Lu Q, et al. Short-term meditation training improves attention and self-regulation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2007; 104: 17152–6.[PubMed]
McCracken LM, Yang S-Y. A contextual cognitive-behavioral analysis of rehabilitation workers’ health and well-being: Influences of acceptance, mindfulness, and values-based action. Rehabilitation Psychology. 2008; 53: 479–85.
Ortner CNM, Kilner SJ, Zelazo PD. Mindfulness meditation and reduced emotional interference on a cognitive task. Motivation and Emotion. 2007; 31: 271–83.
Brefczynski-Lewis J, Lutz A, Schaefer H, Levinson D, Davidson R. Neural correlates of attentional expertise in long-term meditation practitioners. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2007; 104: 11483–8.[PubMed]